We were born in the 19th century, grew up in the 20th century, and feel a great passion for the 21st century
On 10 July 1890, five families who shared the same passion for wine founded La Rioja Alta, S.A. That was the beginning of our winemaking group, which today consists of four wineries —La Rioja Alta, S.A., Torre de Oña, Áster and Lagar de Cervera— located in the most important wine regions in Spain: Rioja, Rioja Alavesa, Ribera del Duero and Rías Baixas.
These are only some of the highlights of our wine group's history. If you would like more information about our history, we invite you to read the chapter 'Our past, present and future' of the book 'Three centuries of La Rioja Alta, S.A.'
Select the years that are milestones in the history of Grupo La Rioja Alta, S.A.
- Five Riojan and Basque families founded the ‘Sociedad Vinícola de La Rioja Alta’ in Haro's Station Quarter. Our first president was a woman: Doña Saturnina García Cid y Gárate. Monsieur Vigier, a Frenchman, was the firm's first winemaker.
- We took on the definitive name that persists today: La Rioja Alta, S.A. A year later, under the presidency of Don Leandro Ardanza Angulo, we registered the brand that has given our House the most fame and renown: Viña Ardanza.
- First vintage of the La Rioja Alta SA Club de Cosecheros. This new concept of understanding the relationship of trust between client and winery was extended in 1997 to Torre de Oña and, in 2002, to Áster.
- We acquired the small Galician winery Fernández Cervera Hermanos, S.L. and began our journey in Rías Baixas. We started making the Lagar de Cervera Albariño. In 2013, coinciding with its 25th anniversary, we completely renovated the facilities.
- We celebrated our centennial. We started our journey in Ribera del Duero planting the first vines of the new winery, Áster, which was built in 2000.
- We acquired the Torre de Oña, S.A. winery in Páganos, Rioja Alavesa. The purchase included the winery, a palatial mansion, a shrine and 45 hectares of vineyards. The first wine was the Barón de Oña Reserva 1989.